Thursday 6 February 2014

NATURAL HAIR: MAINTENANCE AND GROWTH



NATURAL HAIR: MAINTENANCE AND GROWTH





Hi dearies..
This is the second section of the natural hair regime article. If you missed the first part just click on this this link. http://vanistyles.blogspot.com/2014/02/natural-hair-care_2.html

Maintenance and Growth;

Firstly: RELAXERS
What does maintaining and growing your hair require?  TIME AND PATIENCE.
You need to give your hair time and attention, no jokes darling. How you treat your hair as a lady and even as a gentleman says a whole lot about you.

You need to pay attention to vital things like what products and chemicals go into your hair.
I personally have found a way whereby I only perm/retouch my hair twice a year, which is once every six months.  Note* (my hair is very full and coarse and yet I manage to maintain it to feel as soft and bouncy as possible so trust me darlings, this goal can certainly be attained) it helps me to monitor and moderate how much chemicals go in to my hair and scalp.
The choice of relaxer you use is also very important. Personally, I use just for me relaxer for kids (coarse)

  though my hair is coarse and full, I’ve realized over the years that when I use baby relaxers I can stay for longer periods of time and my hair retouches better giving me the end result of a soft and beautiful hair.

TIP* give your hair a little trim, it gives room for growth.

Secondly: STEAMING

Steaming the hair creates a humid environment, optimal for absorption of moisture, promoting growth, defining curls and adding volume.
How often do you steam your hair and with what products?
I recommend steaming your hair, a week or two after you perm/retouch it for best results. 

Here are the lists of products I use:

-          Organics by Africa’s Best (Cholesterol tea tree oil) it revitalizes, strengthens and deep conditions. It’s also dual. It could serve as rinse-out plus leave-in conditioner
-          One fresh egg ( the egg white should be used and not the yolk else your hair will stink darling)
-         Honey.
-           A shower cap
-           A big tooth comb
(pls drop a comment below if you would want me to do a video tutorial)


Thirdly: HOT COMBS (STRAIGHTNERS, TONGS ETC) 


Okay girlies…. Hot combs are not your FRIENDS! Trust me ladies. Stay away from them. If you absolutely need to use a straightener or tong or any other heat related tool please use a heat protector serum.  I personally choose to wait under the dryer after a wash because it helps to lock in my curls better.

Lastly: COLORING/DYING/HIGHLIGHTS 

I’m not against coloring neither do i practice it. But if you want to change the color of your hair or add a few highlights. C’mon darling, do it the right way. Apart from the fact that these chemicals are harsh on the scalp, they are also a lot of adulterated products out there. So unless you have done enough research about a product don’t EXPERIMENT WITH YOUR HAIR!


WIGS! WIGS! WIGS!
Yes I said it. The world has evolved sweethearts. There are lots of beautiful wigs now. It helps gives your hair and scalp breathing room and you still look beautiful. It also keeps me going, since I retouch my hair once every six months.

SUMMARY
-       The right choice of relaxer is essential ( go for mild relaxers) even if your coarse, thick and full like mine. If your hair is thin and naturally soft, even better. Focus more on moisturizers to revitalize the texture of your hair.
-         Steaming your hair is vital. It helps strengthen, revitalize and condition
-         With regards to coloring, highlights and dyes. Do it the right way.
-          Give your hair lil trim, it allows for growth
-           Stay off heat related tools and if you must use a heat protector.

Thank you

Stay confident
Vanessa xo

No comments: